2025 Entries Opening Soon
All the info you need to know to enter Tarawera Ultra-Trail by UTMB, including race date, start times, check-in, entry fees, inclusions, key dates, entry policies, deferral, withdrawal, transfer and race rules.
RACE DATE: 17-18 February 2024
DISTANCES: TMiler, T102, T50, T21
- TMiler - Saturday 4:00am
- T50 - Saturday 6:00am
- T102 - Saturday 7:30am
- T21 - Saturday 9:00am
EVENT HUB: Village Green, Lakefront Drive, Rotorua
ATHLETE CHECK-IN: View check-in locations and times in the event schedule.
You will need to provide photo ID (preferably a drivers licence or passport) and your mandatory gear (if not checked prior) to be issued with your race pack.
DOWNLOAD THE APP: To help ensure you have the best possible Tarawera experience, please download the latest version of Tarawera Ultra-Trail by UTMB app. It has the full event schedule, course maps and other key event information you need ahead of arriving in Rotorua
Your family & friends will also be able to follow you on race day so make sure they download it too!
(7 Jun - 10 Aug)
(11 Aug - 23 Nov)
(24 Nov - 25 Jan)
(25 Jan - 16 Feb)
All entry prices are shown in New Zealand dollars Prices are inclusive of GST. This payment will be processed by ACTIVE Network in the United States. Some banks may charge a small transaction fee according to their policies. This fee is not charged by ACTIVE Network or IRONMAN. Please contact your bank for further information.
|7 June 2023
|General Entries Open
|7 July 2023
|Register before 11:59pm NZST to secure Free Deferral and Payment Plan (TMiler and T102 athletes only)
|25 November 2023
|45% Refundable Entry Ends
|17 December 2023
|Name Tee cut-off
|1 January 2024
|TMiler Qualification Closes
|3 January 2024
|Free Deferral cut off (TMiler and T102 athletes only)
|6 January 2024
|22% Refundable Entry Ends
|15 February 2024
|Person to person transfers close at 5:00pm (NZST)
|15 February 2024
|Late Entry Transfers at 5:00pm (NZST)
ENTRY PRICES INCLUDE
- Race entry
- Race number
- Timing device
- Drop bag tag/s
- Medical support/assistance
- Buffet aid stations
- Post-event recovery area at the finish area with food & drink vendors
- Finishers medal (T102, T50, T21)
- Pounamu (carved from New Zealand jade stone) pendant (TMiler finishers only)
- Athlete t-shirt (TMiler, T102, T50 only)
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Completing a TMiler is a physically and mentally challenging event and participation in it requires significant training and preparation. For your health and safety, we require evidence of your ability to take part by meeting this qualification criteria below:
- A 50km or longer run result (Official or Unofficial) between 11:59pm NZT 1 January 2022 and 1 January 2024. It must be uploaded into your event registration either during the initial registration or at a later date via the ACTIVE MyEvents Account.
- Official Result: a web link to the results of your completion of an official trail race, 50km or longer. You must be an official finisher and complete the course within advertised cut off time. This means, for example, you cannot submit a result showing you made it 55km into a 100km race.
- Unofficial Result: a weblink (eg strava link) of the completion of a self-timed run, 50km or longer. The 50km must be completed within a 10 hour time period and a clean GPX recorded
- You will need to submit a web link to your file/result (e.g. Strava Link or Official Race Website) when you sign up – or modify your entry profile at some later date to include that link. This must be completed before 11:59pm NZT 1 January 2024. Failure to do before this date will result in your entry being cancelled.
- Race management reserves the right to reject any result deemed not meeting the above criteria.
- You will only be contacted should your result (official or unofficial) not meet the above criteria. You will be provided an opportunity to re-submit your result prior to the cutoff date of 1 January 2024. In the event you do not meet the criteria by the cutoff date, you will be notified by email and automatically moved into the T102. In this email you will be provided with a limited time opportunity to defer into the TMiler in the following year (a 10% processing fee applies) provided that your entry has not previously been deferred. Standard athlete withdrawal options apply prior to the 1 January 2024.
There is no pre-requisite of competing or finishing any trail running event to participate in the T102. However, participating in ultra-trail running events will assist with your start group seeding.
All participants of the T102 should be experienced in trail running, including sufficiently skilled and trained to undertake a trail run event. The course is tough, demanding and is remote in sections that can result in slower first aid / rescue response times. It is a combination of fire trail, narrow walking tracks, some very steep sections on staircases, ladders, river/creek crossings, dirt, on rock and sections that are rough under foot. It is the participants responsibility to ensure you are physically fit enough to complete the distance you have entered and monitor your health and condition during the event, including knowing when to withdraw from the event if you are no longer fit enough to continue.
If you cannot participate in the event, entry fee refunds are available in accordance with the below stated Athlete Withdrawal dates only. After the stipulated dates, entry fees are non-refundable for withdrawals initiated by the athlete. Requests for refunds must be notified to the organiser in writing via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ELIGIBLE ATHLETE WITHDRAWAL REFUNDS
Where eligible, please allow up to 90 business days for your refund to be processed. The refund is automatically issued to the credit card originally used to pay for the registration. If this card has since been cancelled or has expired, it is the athlete’s responsibility to notify our customer service team when requesting the eligible refund.
45% of entry fee refundable for athlete withdrawal requests made up to 11:59pm NZT 25 November 2023. 22% of entry fee refundable for athlete withdrawal requests made up to 11:59pm NZT 6 January 2024
*Any other additional purchases, already paid for on your behalf by IRONMAN to a third-party service provider such as Official Event Photographer photo packages, medal engraving, Squadrun training packages, shuttle bus tickets, BBQ Tickets are not refundable.
**Athletes who have deferred into this event from a previous year or transferred into this event from another event or entered the event through the use of an Event Credit or a partially paid payment plan are not eligible for athlete withdrawal refunds.
Please note: This event takes place in Rotorua, New Zealand. It is each athlete’s sole responsibility to ensure that they can attend (including Race Check-In during specified times) and compete in the event on the day. Other than as provided for in the Athlete Withdrawal program set out above or the Enter with Confidence deferral options below, no further remedies will be provided for change of mind, change of personal circumstances, or injury.
If you decide to withdraw at the event after collecting your race kit at Check-In, please advise Event Information onsite. If you need to withdraw on race day, your details must be recorded by the Drop Out Clerk located at Event Information.
Athletes can request to transfer their entry to a lesser or greater race distance up until such time as that race distance is sold out, subject to the following terms:
Athletes must log into their MyEvents account and select Change Category before 5:00pm (NZT) on 9 February 2023. After this date, such requests can only be made at the Help Desk at Athlete Check-in. Transferring to a greater distance: Where an athlete requests to transfer to a greater distance and space is available, the athlete is required to pay the difference in entry fees between the two distances. Transferring to a shorter distance: Where an athlete requests to transfer to a shorter distance and space is available, the difference in entry fees will not be refunded. Athletes on the payment plan or deferred race entry, are required to contact email@example.com to request a change in distance.
Athletes can transfer their race entry to someone else in accordance with the below stated Person to Person Transfer date.
- From event opening to 5:00pm NZT 15 February 2024 a transfer fee of $55NZD including all fees and taxes will be charged to the withdrawing athlete. No person to person transfers accepted after this date.
- Athletes can formally transfer their entry to someone else within the same distance event already entered.
- Any other additional purchases, already paid for on your behalf by the Event Operator to a third-party service provider such as Official Event Photographer, medal engraving, Squadrun training packages, shuttle bus tickets, BBQ Tickets are not refundable and will not be transferred with your entry.
- It is not possible to transfer your entry to someone else who is wanting to do a different distance event (i.e. T102 to T50).
- To transfer an entry to someone else, the initial registrant must log in to their ACTIVE MyEvents Account, select Transfer Registration and follow the necessary steps. Please note: the receiving athlete will be sent a link to complete the registration and will need to pay for the entry (at the current entry price) in order for the transfer to process, then the original athlete will be refunded their entry fee less the relevant transfer fee as outlined above, including all fees and taxes.
** Please note:** Payment plan or deferred athletes , are required to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a Person to Person transfer.
**As stated in the Event Waiver, under no circumstance are you permitted to give your bib to another person. The safety of our athletes is paramount, therefore we need to ensure we have correct details of all our athletes on course.
UTMB have released the UTMB World Series Pregnancy Policy, which applies to this event.
The full UTMB World Series Pregnancy Policy is available. A summary of this policy is included below for guidance. The full policy will apply to the extent of any inconsistency.
Eligible athletes (as outlined below) are able to request a full refund OR defer their entry for up to 2 years to the same race and distance as originally entered.
|MINIMUM DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED
|A female athlete where pregnancy is known between the date of entering and the date of the race.
|Medical certificate confirming pregnancy.
|The partner of a person who is pregnant, with a due date less than 3 months before, and no more than 3 months after the race date.
|Medical certificate confirming pregnancy and proof of relationship or residence with the pregnant person.
|parents who are adopting or birthing via surrogacy less than 6 months before race day.
|Adopting or birth certificate with an official date of less than 6 months before race day.
Requests for a refund or deferral in accordance with the UTMB World Series Pregnancy Policy must be notified to the organiser in writing via email at email@example.com. All requests must be made prior to the race. For races that require a valid UTMB Index, athletes choosing to defer their entry must ensure their index is valid at the time they choose to participate in the race.
For eligible athletes requesting a refund, please allow up to 90 business days for your refund to be processed. The refund is automatically issued to the credit card originally used to pay for the registration. If this card has since been cancelled or has expired, it is the athlete’s responsibility to notify our customers service team when requesting the eligible refund.
TMiler & T102 Athletes
Defer your entry fee to the 2025 Tarawera Ultra-Trail by UTMB (to the same distance only). You must register on or before 11:59pm NZT 7 July 2023 to be eligible and submit a request on or before 11:59pm NZT 3 January 2024.
Deferrals are only available for TMiler & T102 individual entries and athletes who elect to defer their entries forfeit any Athlete Withdrawal eligible refund. The Deferral Program is not available to athletes who have transferred or deferred into this event; or entered the event through the use of an Event Credit or partially paid a payment plan. All deferrals are final.
Please click here to submit your request and to view additional program policies.
ACTIVE Refund is an optional purchase which may make your registration fee, and certain additional purchases, eligible for a refund if you are no longer able to attend your event for any reason (subject to the ACTIVE Refund Terms and Conditions). ACTIVE Refund requests must be submitted via the ACTIVE Refund website no less than midnight 48 hours prior to the activity start date. If available for your event registration, you will see the option to purchase ACTIVE Refund during check-out of your registration. Please note this program is run exclusively through ACTIVE Refund and all questions regarding ACTIVE Refund should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
TMiler and T102 Athletes
Register on or before 11:59pm (NZT) 7 July 2023 to be eligible to pay your entry fee via the Payment Plan payment option. Payment Plan entries are subject to the following terms and contains:
- Both of the two (2) instalments must be paid in full for the athlete to be considered a race entry and to be eligible to race.
- Athlete Withdrawal options, including the deferral option, are not available to athletes with a partially paid payment plan. Athletes must be paid in full to access these Athlete Withdrawal options.
- This payment plan option is not a direct debit arrangement. Athletes are required to access their profile on or before the due date for Payment 2 and make this second payment.
- Payments are due as per the outlined dates below:
- Payment 1 of NZD$480 (inclusive of all fees and taxes) due at the time of registration (ends 11:59pm NZT on 7 July 2023) and
- Payment 2 of NZD$480 (inclusive of all fees and taxes) due 7 August 2023. You will receive a notice and steps on completing the payment on 31 July 2023
- Payment 1 of NZD$265 (inclusive of all fees and taxes) due at the time of registration (ends 11:59pm NZT on 7 July 2023) and
- Payment 2 of NZD$265 (inclusive of all fees and taxes) due 7 August 2023. You will receive a notice and steps on completing the payment on 31 July 2023
The safety of all athletes on course is our priority. Our event team considers each race/event individually to determine the entry requirements. Due to course conditions Tarawera Ultra-Trail New Zealand by UTMB is not suitable to be completed using wheelchairs or with prams across all distances. While this race is not suitable, our goal is to make everyone's racing dreams a reality so if you would like information on other events where the course is able to accommodate wheelchair participation or any other course accessibility needs, please email us at email@example.com